Blue Marble is a consumer products company with a focus on developing exceptional STEM toys for families around the world. Simply put, we believe quality educational products inspire kids and instill in them a lifelong love of learning. We believe that foundation will serve them throughout their entire lives and will benefit their future and our community.
We are National Geographic’s largest licensee and have created hundreds of products under their brand which we sell in over 60 countries around the world. We also created products for NASA, and we have developed our own brands: Discover with Dr. Cool, and Blockaroo Magnetic Foam Builders www.blockarootoys.com.
We have been in business for over 15 years and our headquarters is in beautiful Ashland, Oregon. Our products are the gold standard of quality when it comes to educational toys. Look at our brand store on amazon (search: National Geographic Toys, or visit our company website www.thinkbluemarble.com and you will quickly see the Blue Marble difference. From real dinosaur fossils, to amazing gemstones from around the world, we love making products that inspire, and we think you will feel the passion, excitement, and innovation that our company is known for in every product we make.
What’s it like to work here?
Blue Marble is a special work environment. It has a family-style atmosphere and there is always a buzz of activity and inspiration in the air. Our team is made up of people with high character. To work here you need to be talented, bring a positive attitude, and be a great human being. This is a place where our team supports each other and wins together.
As a company, we care about our employees, our community, and the world around us. How we do things, and how we treat each other matters to us. We exist to make thoughtful, purposeful products, but we also value a good balance between work and life, and we want to enjoy how we work together all along the way. Our team is like no other, and if you share our values, we believe you will agree that this is one of the best places to work on the planet.
If you think this is the place for you and if you want to join a company that aims to make a positive impact in the world, then we look forward to hearing from you!
Position SummaryWe are searching for an experienced and ambitious Staff Accountant to join the Blue Marble Finance team. This role will be part of a team of professionals working to maintain order and transparency for the company’s finances. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for completing data entry, maintaining NetSuite and QuickBooks online data and ensuring completeness and accuracy of all data. The role will support monthly and annual financial processes and assist in making journal entries, account reconciliation, preparation of accurate and timely financial reports and statements, ensuring appropriate accounting control procedure and providing support our annual audit process.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with expense reports in Expensify to properly confirm and import departmental costs
- Perform regular bank and credit card transaction importing
- Perform month-end closing responsibilities for assigned inventory activity including data pulling, making journal entries and account reconciliations
- Analyze and explain unusual variances in assigned accounts
- Post and process various types of entries to ensure all business transactions are recorded
- Receive customer payments and reconcile customer accounts as necessary
- Update accounts payable as vendor bills are paid, and reconcile as necessary
- Assist in the processing of balance sheets, income statements and other financial statements according to legal and company accounting and financial guidelines
- Update financial data in databases to ensure that information will be accurate and immediately available when needed
- Prepare and submit weekly/monthly reports
- Assist senior accountants in the preparation of monthly/yearly closings
- Assist in yearly third-party audits
- Perform special projects as requested by management
- Follow best practices and processes as established by the current team, while looking for ways to improve both accuracy and efficiency
- Proven 2-4 years of experience as a Staff accountant
- Excellent organizational skills with great attention to detail
- Solid math and analytical skills
- Thorough understanding of accounting and financial reporting principles and practices
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office with an emphasis on Excel
- Familiarity with relevant software including QuickBooks and NetSuite
- Understanding of GAAP
- Experience with closing cycles and reconciliations
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments to meet deadlines with efficiency and accuracy
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business is preferred
- CPA, CPA eligible or CMA preferred
- Data migration experience preferred
- Inventory/cost accounting with manufacturing knowledge preferred
- Familiarity with SQL database language preferred