Senior Product Developer
This is a “hands-on” role where you work with Production, Design, Engineering, Graphics, Marketing, Sales, Compliance and Executive Management to represent the voice and needs of our customers. The Sr Product Developer captures the product vision, performs market and competitive research, gathers legal and IP feedback and ensures approval on concepts before moving forward with the product. They manage the product through the product development life cycle to generate all marketing materials and packaging for the product, product samples for testing and photography, product cost engineering and details for operations set-up and ultimately lead delivering the product to market.
The Sr Product Developer follows standards and processes, contributing to continual process improvement for our product development workflow and the development of our team. They use our project management and workflow tools for inter-departmental collaboration and lead product-briefing meetings with all internal stakeholders. The Sr Product Developer on-boards and mentors junior level team members.
Our Sr Product Developer is a skilled communicator, organized leader and creative problem-solver with a positive attitude and the ability to thrive in an ever-changing and fast paced work environment.
Please Note: This is not a product design position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead toy products through the entire lifecycle from early concept to launch by working closely with the creative teams and other business stakeholders to execute on product opportunities & develop product briefs.
- Develop cross functional work plan; track & communicate progress across departments
- Provide leadership and direction to overseas manufacturers to achieve product development goals
- Mentor, train and direct more junior staff
- Responsible for executing consistent quality, product testing guidelines, and meeting Licensor standards/requirements
- Initiates, oversees and reviews procurement of new product and sales samples while managing the timeline for development calendar.
- Maintains Bill of Materials on all Products to ensure products are engineered to cost standards. Negotiates cost through order placement in line with margin expectations. Confirms the final cost.
- Communicates throughout the organization as necessary by participating in meetings, presentations, one-on-one dialogue, etc. Provides formal written communication as necessary and/or required.
- Organize product research and user / mom testing activities
- Anticipate, identify & proactively resolve development issues
Required Experience and Knowledge:
- 5+ years’ experience within a consumer products toy field in product development; sports/entertainment licensor or licensee (Toy Manufacturer)
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously with superior attention to detail while managing to the big picture with diverse groups.
- Team player who is also on independent thinker, self-motivated, self-starter, analytical thinker and a creator
- Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, time management and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work in a global environment
- Ability to communicate complex concepts, projected performance, and risks to team and senior management.
- Extensive knowledge of toy categories including manufacturing techniques, materials and technologies
- Strategic vision for overall business and category
- Proven ability to negotiate and exert influence without authority
- Creative flair both in generating ideas and execution
- Good command of Microsoft Office Suite applications; Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience with PDM, PLM systems and Project Management (Stage Gate process) preferred.
- Able to work flexible hours including some nights and/or weekends based on business needs and travel overseas as needed.