Junior Graphic Designer
Blue Marble is a consumer products company with a focus on developing exceptional STEM toys for families around the world. Simply put, we believe quality educational products inspire kids and instill in them a lifelong love of learning. We believe that foundation will serve them throughout their entire lives and will benefit their future and our community.
We are National Geographic’s largest licensee and have created hundreds of products under their brand which we sell in over 60 countries around the world. We also created products for NASA, and we have developed our own brands: Discover with Dr. Cool, and Blockaroo Magnetic Foam Builders www.blockarootoys.com.
We have been in business for over 15 years and our headquarters is in beautiful Ashland, Oregon. Our products are the gold standard of quality when it comes to educational toys. Look at our brand store on amazon (search: National Geographic Toys, or visit our company website www.thinkbluemarble.com and you will quickly see the Blue Marble difference. From real dinosaur fossils, to amazing gemstones from around the world, we love making products that inspire, and we think you will feel the passion, excitement, and innovation that our company is known for in every product we make.
What’s it like to work here?
Blue Marble is a special work environment. It has a family-style atmosphere and there is always a buzz of activity and inspiration in the air. Our team is made up of people with high character. To work here you need to be talented, bring a positive attitude, and be a great human being. This is a place where our team supports each other and wins together.
As a company, we care about our employees, our community, and the world around us. How we do things, and how we treat each other matters to us. We exist to make thoughtful, purposeful products, but we also value a good balance between work and life, and we want to enjoy how we work together all along the way. Our team is like no other, and if you share our values, we believe you will agree that this is one of the best places to work on the planet.
If you think this is the place for you and if you want to join a company that aims to make a positive impact in the world, then we look forward to hearing from you!
Position SummaryBlue Marble is looking for a Junior Designer with proven experience in a range of print and digital deliverables including packaging, product collateral, point of sale, and marketing initiatives, and is primarily responsible for print production and preparation of files for press. This is a “hands on” role where you will be an essential part of our mission to inspire creativity and active play in children throughout the world with thoughtfully designed products that engage the imagination.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Execute design production tasks including file management, application of translations to existing artworks, and management of the product photography asset database
- Maintain brand consistency across artworks under established brand guidelines and styles
- Provide image retouching, clipping paths and additional image manipulation
- Prepare final press-ready files based on specifications for several types of printing
- Prepare images for online and mobile applications
- Cleanly set up, archive, and catalog files for future projects and ease of use across departments
- Acts as the liaison between the creative team and all other departments to obtain the necessary information or assets to execute projects, alerting individuals on current project/deadline status and any issues that may need attention
- The successful candidate will possess a BS in Design, Marketing, or related field (or equivalent job experience) and up to 3 years of relevant work experience.
- Expertise with digital & printing processes, Mac OSX, Adobe Creative Suite (specifically: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Acrobat), MS Office suite, and quick to learn other software(s) used
- Possess strong typographic skills and an eye for layout
- Ability to start projects and drive to completion
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple packaging and inbox activities with constant changes
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required for effective project and client management
- Enthusiasm for getting “hands on” in collaborative team environments
- Ability to work quickly, independently, follow-through and work across departmental boundaries to obtain the necessary information or assets to execute projects.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to understand project requirements & scope, asking relevant questions to ensure successful delivery